Often times, above ground pools seem low maintenance and a good way to get your swim without having too much pool to take care of. It doesn’t occur to most above ground pool owners that a cover might be necessary for multiple reasons.
Your pool might be under a tree, in a climate with wildly varying temperatures, or just exposed to areas with dust and dirt kick up. In case it’s news to you, these conditions call for an above ground pool cover to keep your pool in the best shape.
We’ve compiled our years of knowledge and reviewed the best above ground pool covers on the market. Only the best will do for your pool because a cover should do just that without any additional maintenance, cover the pool.
By carefully analyzing and comparing products, we’ve gathered a list of the 10 best covers for you and your above ground pool.
Our Top Recommended Above Ground Pool Covers
- Robelle 3524-4 Super Winter Pool Cover
- High Quality 8 x 8 scrim
- Heavy-duty polyethylene weighs 2.36 oz./yd2
- Blue Wave Gold
- Pool size: 18 feet x 34 feet, Cover size: 22 feet x 38 feet
- Protects against sun, snow, ice and wind
- 1 Our Top Recommended Above Ground Pool Covers
- 2 List of 10 Best Above Ground Pool Covers on the Maket Today:
- 2.1 Robelle 3524-4 Super Winter Pool Cover for Round Above Ground Swimming Pools
- 2.2 Blue Wave Gold 15-Year 18-ft x 34-ft Oval Above Ground Pool Winter Cover
- 2.3 Blue Wave Gold Round Above Ground Pool Winter Cover
- 2.4 Blue Wave Silver Oval Above Ground Pool Winter Cover
- 2.5 Blue Wave Silver Round Above Ground Pool Winter Cover
- 2.6 Blue Wave Bronze Round Above Ground Pool Winter Cover
- 2.7 Intex Deluxe 18-Foot Round Pool Cover
- 2.8 In The Swim Round Pool Winter Cover
- 2.9 In The Swim Round Above Ground Pool Leaf Net Cover
- 2.10 Intex 15-Foot Round Easy Set Pool Cover
- 3 Tips on Choosing the Best Above Ground Pool Cover
- 4 Factors To Consider When Buying The Best Above Ground Pool Cover
- 5 Conclusion
List of 10 Best Above Ground Pool Covers on the Maket Today:
The best above ground winter pool cover is the Robelle Super Winter Pool Cover for Round Above Ground Swimming Pools. Crafted specifically for round pools and made of polyethylene material, this pool cover by Robelle is durable and strong. This particular Robelle Super Winter Pool Cover is only for 24 foot pools.
The pros of this Super Cover by Robelle are its being lightweight, sturdy, and its easy securing method. The con of this particular cover is it’s only for 24 foot, round above ground pools.
Customers are overwhelmingly satisfied with this pool cover by Robelle, claiming the quality to be on par with description. Another consumer using the cover claims to have only had a single leaf in their pool after a full winter season.
Next up in the above ground pool cover reviews is the Blue Wave Gold Oval Winter Cover. This cover is one of the best oval pool covers for above ground pools on the market. This oval cover is constructed to fit oval pools with dimensions of 18 feet by 34 feet.
The pros of this Blue Wave Gold Oval cover are its four foot extra length on the edges and its durability. The con of this particular cover is it’s specifically tailored to oval pools with the dimension 18 feet by 34 feet.
Consumers claim that this product is worth the few extra bucks over its competitors due to its extra durability. Others call it a great cover and some have noted its intact state after a full winter season!
The next best above ground pool cover for winter is the Blue Wave Gold Round Above Ground Pool Winter Cover. Aside from its shape and size, this cover sports the same material construction and features as the Blue Wave Gold Oval cover mentioned previously. This Blue Wave Gold Round cover is for 24 foot, round above ground pools only.
The pros of this cover are its strength and durability, black algae preventative lining, and its winch and cable system. The con of this particular cover is it’s only fit for 24 foot, round above ground pools.
Consumers find the Blue Wave Gold Round Cover is high quality and a great product. One user claims that had the pool not required a shock and warmer temperatures, he could’ve jumped right in; that’s how clean the cover kept the pool!
The next cover, another Blue Wave cover, is considered the “Silver” model and is fit for oval pools. In opposition to round, above ground pool safety covers, this Blue Wave Silver Oval cover is specifically tailored to fit oval pools with dimensions 16 feet by 32 feet. Nearly identical to its Blue Wave Gold sibling, there are a few key differences.
The pros of this Blue Wave Silver Oval cover are the heat-sealed seams, keeping water pristine, and its durability. The con of this particular cover is its specific fitting to 16 foot by 32 foot oval pools.
Some consumers call it the best oval pool cover on the market and others praise its durability. Other consumers note that Blue Wave stands true to their warranty.
Another Blue Wave Silver product is next up in the best above ground pool cover reviews. This Blue Wave Silver Round Cover is nearly identical to the Blue Wave Silver cover just previously reviewed. This particular Blue Wave Silver Round Cover is only for 24 foot, round pools.
The pros of the Blue Wave Silver Round cover are its heat-sealed seams and the extra four feet of cover on the edges. The con of this cover is it’s only for 24 foot, round pools.
Previous owners claim that the cover is easy to install on your pool and that it’s truly heavy-duty. One customer specifically calls it the best cover they’ve purchased in over a decade.
The next product in review is yet another Blue Wave cover. This cover is their “Bronze” edition and is tailored to fit round pools. It falls into the category of mesh pool covers for above ground pools and is crafted for 24 foot pools.
The pros of this Blue Wave Bronze Cover are its sit-on-water design, which reduces stress on the pool, and its being lightweight. The con of this cover is its warranty expires sooner than other Blue Wave products and it is only fit for 24 foot, round pools.
Some consumers claim this cover does an appropriate job while others are not so keen on it and are dissatisfied with the company’s handling of their eight year warranty.
The next item, the Intex Deluxe 18-Foot Round Pool Cover, is one of the best rated above ground pool covers. Crafted specifically for metal framed pools, this 18 foot cover is meant to sustain and prolong the health of your pool.
The pros of this Intex Deluxe Round Cover are its being super lightweight and having drain holes to prevent water accumulation and sagging. The cons of this cover are that it is only fit for 18 foot, round pools and it doesn’t have extra cover slack on the edges, meaning in fits the edges very tightly.
Consumers claim to have season to season perfect pool coverage due to this cover. Others call it the best yet with one customer even advising leaves to find another pool because they’re not getting into this cover!
This next review is on the best above ground pool cover for winter, the In The Swim Round Pool Winter Cover. Crafted specifically for enduring the winter months, this pool cover by In The Swim is undeniably equipped for the weather. The cover is intended to fit 24 foot, round pools.
The pros of this In The Swim cover is its light weight and easy installation. The con of this particular cover is it’s only for 24 foot, round above ground pools and it has only an extra three feet of edge cover, as opposed to the four feet of other products reviewed.
Customers are back and forth about this cover, some claiming its feasibility and others casting doubt about the cover. With fairly even amounts of good and bad things being said of the cover, we advise you to buy at your own caution.
Next in the above ground swimming pool covers reviews is a two-in-one cover and leaf net cover. This cover by In The Swim covers your pool and prevents leaf build up and decay, while fitting to your 28 foot, round pool.
It works by covering the pool first with a normal cover and then laying the leaf net cover on top of that. This cover is particularly ideal for pools with near proximity to trees with falling leaves.
The pros of the In The Swim Leaf Net Cover are its two-in-one design, making catching and discarding of leaves easier, and its light weight. The cons of this cover are its lack of warranty and lack of UV cover protection.
Despite the lack of warranty, customers rave about the leaf net and its ability to keep your pool free of leaves and debris. Many call the leaf net cover the answer to the leaf issues surrounding their pools.
The final product in review definitely fits the model of best pool covers for above ground pools. This cover, the Intex Round Easy Set Pool Cover, is the smallest cover reviewed yet. This cover is tailored to fit round pools that are 15 feet in diameter. Although it’s smaller than other covers, it surely doesn’t lack in protecting your pool.
The pros of the Intex 15-Foot Round Easy Set Pool Cover are its ease of use (hence “Easy Set”) and its snug fit. The cons of this cover are that it is only fit for round pools 15 feet or smaller in diameter (though we recommend only purchasing direct fit covers) and its drain holes are considered to be slightly too large.
Customers are generally happy with this product calling it well-rounded and worth the price. Another customer claims to have done some patch-work on the drain holes and that that has allowed the cover to work perfectly.
Tips on Choosing the Best Above Ground Pool Cover
The following is a list of tips for choosing an above ground pool cover:
- Do your research: When it comes to pool covers, they are all truly unique and fit for specific situations and uses. By researching each product you are interested in you can narrow down the important differences between them to make a purchasing decision. Comparison charts are massively helpful as well is knowing your pool’s dimensions and features.
- Ask others: Asking other above ground pool owners what kind of pool they have and how they cover it is a great way to further your knowledge on the pool covers in discussion. If you don’t know anyone personally with an above ground pool, the internet is likely to have a dedicated community on the topic where you can get some answers to specific questions you may have.
- Read reviews: Finally, read reviews online. For instance, you’ve gained a lot of information from these listed reviews. Next you could read consumer-left reviews on products to get a better understanding of each individual covers success in the market. Just be sure to take each review with a grain of salt as they are subjective takes on a product.
- Be aware: This is not to say that you’re not already, but being aware of things like weather patterns through the seasons and their effect on your pool will go a long way in determining the type of cover you end up pursuing.
Factors To Consider When Buying The Best Above Ground Pool Cover
Below are the factors to consider when buying an above ground pool cover:
- Pool size: Pool size is the number one factor to consider when buying an above ground pool cover because the covers are designed to fit specific diameters and dimensions and are often not very flexible in their use outside of the specified pool size.
- Construction: What is the pool cover constructed from? The polyethylene covers are the more durable of covers for above ground pools. Even amongst polyethylene covers, some are designed and created with higher durability. Is the polyethylene UV protected or not? Is the cover constructed to last through winter months, or just to act as a cover during swim season? These questions help determine what you need.
- Weight: Not all covers are lightweight by design. Typically a lighter weighted cover will be easier to install. However, heavier covers are likely more durable for the trying months of winter.
- Method of Security: How does the cover secure to the pool? Is it cabled wit ha winch or is it rope tied? Does it just fit without security? Your answers to these questions will help direct you to the higher quality products.
There are many factors to consider when buying a pool cover and they’re not all mentioned here. These aforementioned factors are the ones that pertain the most to your pool cover decision. Maybe with the addition of weather, these factors will aid you in narrowing down your options to the pool covers that will get the job done for your specific pool and space.
Above ground pool covers are a necessity for any above ground pool owner. Even if you don’t keep your pool filled through the winter season, you should still use a cover during the swimming season when needed.
Having a cover takes a portion of pool maintenance off of your hands by preventing dirt and dust from entering and building up in your pool. Not to mention the prevention of black algae (which can be lethal to an above ground pool) that many covers guarantee.
Having spent the time reading this comprehensive review, you’re now armed with the knowledge you need to tackle the task of buying an above ground pool cover. With the help of these reviews, you’re ready to assess your pool and its needs.
Get your above ground pool cover today! After all, the season’s around the corner and there’s no time to waste!