Having the right fixtures is imperative to enjoying a great shower. With correct water regulations, you can set your preferred shower temperature. A shower valve will allow you to do just that.
A shower valve controls the shower’s water pressure, consistently delivering the right water temperature throughout your shower.
It helps to control the volume, temperature, and pressure of the water, allowing you to avoid temperature fluctuations that can hurt you and your family.
Depending on your needs, you need to consider the consistency, safety, and durability of the shower valve as well as ease of installation. Here are a few tips and reviews to help you find the best thermostatic shower valves for your shower.
10 Best Shower Valves on the Market Review:
1. Delta Faucet R10000-UNBXHF MultiChoice Universal Shower Valve
Providing unlimited possibilities, the Delta Faucet MultiChoice Universal Shower Valve is one of the best thermostatic shower mixer valves on the market.
This valve gives you the flexibility to upgrade the functionality or style of your shower without having to alter the plumbing hiding behind the shower wall. Backed by the Delta Limited Lifetime Warranty, it is compatible with Universal, IPS, and PEX connection types.
This valve is a revolutionary system that allows you to easily change the appearance, function, and style of your shower.
The Delta MultiChoice Universal Shower Valve should be used in a shower that does not have a tub spout and is compatible with the needs of most of the commonly used plumbing methods.
- You can change the function and appearance of your shower without going into the shower wall plumbing
- There is a lot of flexibility as far as upgrades
- It includes a drain assembly
- The instructions are pretty poor
- There is a design flaw that hinders water flow up to the showerhead
2. hansgrohe iBox Universal Shower Valve
This rough-in valve uses a service stop and works with standard shower trims. Created to make revocations simple and easy, the hansgrohe iBox Universal Shower Valve is a universal rough that works with standard AXOR and hansgrohe shower and trim products.
Ensuring an easy and demolition-free substitute of fixtures and trims for upgrades in the future, this is a customizable product that allows you to configure the best shower valve experience.
Compatible with any pipe, the PVC housing is created to penetrate a finished wall surface in order to stop leaks. The Hansgrohe iBox also allows you to directly access water shut-off valves for repairs without having to remove the tile.
The lightweight VPC housing lets you trim it to fit the depth of your finish during installation.
- This valve isn’t too difficult to install
- It works well with the associated trims
- This is a handy product that works well with new construction
- It can be hard to use with a remodel job
- Some design issues depend on your plumbing
3. hansgrohe Ecostat Modern Premium Thermostatic Rough-in Valve
This shower mixer valve features a brushed nickel finish with a minimalist style that is reminiscent of contemporary European design.
Utilizing a geometrical transition of curves running into smooth planes, the Hansgrohe Ecostate Valve offers a versatile design that projects a distinctly clean facade. Crisp and modern, this valve will give your bathroom a distinguished and elegant look.
The hangrohe Ecostate Valve is equipped with a dent and corrosion-resistant trim plate that reduces noise and vibrations and won’t accumulate minerals.
Featuring thermostatic temperature control, you get a diverter and enough volume control for two outlets.
Made of brass, this is a durable valve that also comes with an anti-scald 100-degree safety stop and is recommended for water pressure between 15 and 75 PSI.
- It has a great modern and elegant look for your bathroom
- The valve has a clean and versatile design
- It is dent and corrosion-resistant
- The large round plate is made of plastic
- It’s hard to get it to stop right in the middle, causing water to run a bit
4. hansgrohe Ecostat Modern 2-Handle Shower Valve
Functional and stylish, the Hansgrohe Ecostat Modern 2-Handle Valve features a clear design that doesn’t include any extra.
Using clear lines, this crisp and modern chrome valve uses a brushed nickel finish that is distinguished and elegant looking.
Equipped with corrosion and dent-resistant trim plates, you won’t have to worry about mineral accumulation, plus it helps to reduce noise and vibration.
- It has a classic, elegant appearance
- It won’t accumulate minerals or corrosion
- This is an effective and stylish valve for your bathroom
- The selector and main control knob can become wobbly and loose after a while
- The instructions don’t give sufficient explanations for each step
5. Grohe 29142000 Grohtherm Smart Thermostatic Trim
This shower control valve comes with a control module and total flexibility. The Grohtherm SmartControl is slim and chic, giving you the most flexibility allowing you to enjoy the bath and shower with tons of useful features.
Featuring a minimalist design, this is the perfect choice for any modern bathroom. Using innovative SmartControl technology, you can choose your preferred spray source and also adjust the water volume with just the push of a button.
Providing three valves to give you complete flexibility, you can switch, control, or mix various spray patterns and water outlets. This is a great choice when you want to have side, hand, and head showers or a bath.
Preventing irritating temperature fluctuation, the Grohtherm Smart Thermostatic Trim uses textured buttons that are intuitive and easy to use.
This valve is family-friendly, so you can set the temperature too high, and water-saving with its optional reduced flow rate.
Easy to install, the narrow profile also makes it easy to clean. With the durable Starlight Chrome finish, this valve will look incredible for years.
Plus, the round and narrow design makes it perfect for bathrooms with a streamlined and minimalist look.
- It is super easy to install and clean
- This is a durable valve that will last you for years
- It is effective at preventing temperature fluctuations
- Installation is complicated, and you will probably need a professional’s help
- You can’t buy replacement parts. You have to buy the whole thing again.
6. hansgrohe Ecostat Modern Premium Volume Thermostatic Shower Trim
Providing great shower temperature control, the hansgrohe Ecostat S Trim allows you to configure your ultimate shower experience. Just choose your preferred hansgrohe trim kit along with fixtures to design your ideal look.
Don’t forget that you can always upgrade by just switching out any existing fixture with either AXOR or hansgrohe products, which are both designed to be compatible with Hansgrohe’s iBox Universal Plus Rough valve system.
Using durable plastic, this product is resistant to chemicals, dents, and mineral accumulation, plus it allows for more innovative and intricate product designs.
This is an easy-to-maintain system that can be serviced without removing tile. Just easily remove the trim from the wall for direct access to the water shut-off valves.
- This is an elegant looking valve with smooth movement
- It has a minimalist design that is great at controlling temperature
- The design of the valve makes it easy to access shut-off valves
- You can’t control the water temperature and flow rate separately
- You must turn the small dial all the way down to diminish the flow rate
7. Grohtherm 1000 2-Handle Thermostatic Shower Valve
Providing the ultimate shower experience, the Grohtherm 1000 allows you to enjoy taking a shower more than ever before.
This shower temperature control valve not only gives you an incredibly ergonomic design but also the highest safety standards in the market.
It’s safe for both seniors and children to use, and with its contemporary design and a wide variety of products, you can find the right solution for any bathroom.
- This is a scratch and tarnish-resistant valve
- It reduces the risk of scalding by limiting the temperature
- It has an ergonomic design that is safe for children and seniors to use
- It’s not a great choice for a guest bathroom who may not be used to the design
- The maximum temperature can be too low for some users
8. hansgrohe ShowerSelect Modern Thermostatic Valve
Featuring details and functions that make life comfortable and easy, the Hansgrohe ShowerSelect Modern Thermostatic Valve uses a thoughtful design that provides exceptional performance.
Offering an attractive finish option, this modern and crisp chrome valve will complement any bathroom décor.
Delivering an anti-scald feature, the hansgrohe ShowerSelect Modern Thermostatic Valve includes an anti-scald 100-degree safety button to stop the water temperature from exceeding 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
You can also easily remove the trim plate to access service stops, which is less intrusive when you need to service your iBox.
- It reduces noise and vibration
- This is an attractive valve option with a modern look
- It comes with an anti-scald feature
- There is a problem with the directions when it comes to the trimming buttons for distribution
- The wall plate is plastic
9. Gangang Symmons Solar Heater Tempcontrol Thermostatic Mixer Valve
Featuring bronze, stainless steel, and brass components, the Gangang Symmons Thermostatic Valve lets you precisely control the temperature and also meets federal Lead-Free requirements.
Using a tamper-resistant hex bolt, this valve combines optional cabinets to prevent any unwanted temperature adjustments.
The Gangang Symmons Thermostatic Valve is a 3-way thermostatic Solar Heater mixer valve with an operating pressure between 0.05 – 1.0 MPA.
It also has an adjustable temperature range between 20 and 50 degrees Celsius, with the most comfortable temperature falling around 38 degrees Celsius.
- It easily lets you control the temperature
- This is an easy-to-adjust valve that has a limit of 50 degrees Celsius
- It has long-lasting components
- There is an issue with the threads when you install it
10. Kohler K2975KSNA Master Shower Thermostatic Valve
Durable and long-lasting, the Kohler Master Shower Thermostatic Valve provides an incredible shower experience thanks to its design and versatility.
Using an innovative shuttle design, you get a consistent flow of water while the temperature remains steady. Plus, the temperature has been calibrated to reach a maximum of 104 degrees Fahrenheit, so there is no need to worry about scalding.
This valve includes a limited lifetime warranty, and with the built-in temperature calibration, this is a great choice for a kid’s bathroom. And, while it doesn’t come with a protective finish, it shouldn’t have any problems with corrosion thanks to its solid brass body.
- Provides precise temperature and flow features
- You won’t have to worry about scalding
- It is compatible with several faucets and trims
- It’s a little on the expensive side
- There is no faucet available with the valve
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Thermostatic Shower Valve
Different types of shower valves
You will notice that there are three types of shower valves to choose from. It is important to know the types when you are shopping to ensure you purchase the right shower valve for your needs.
- Pressure balancing – Overcoming pressure fluctuations, pressure-balancing valves provide a consistent temperature of your shower water.
- Thermostatic – Mixes cold and hot water to create your preferred temperature consistently throughout your shower.
- Volume control – Volume control valves control the amount of water that goes to the shower using single or dual-handle valves.
By balancing the water pressure from sudden uses by other water sources, pressure-balancing valves will adjust the cold and hot temperature for you.
The mechanism inside is designed to balance the pressure and not adjust the temperature directly.
Thermostatic Shower Valves:
The Thermostatic shower valve can control the pressure and temperature as needed. You set the temperature before you turn the showerhead on, so you won’t have to wait for your water to heat up or cool down.
Preventing uneven temperature fluctuations, this valve is designed to make showering more comfortable.
A thermostatic shower valve will also come with a volume control technology that controls the shower’s water flow amount. Some of these valves come with a digital panel, so you don’t have to use a metal handle.
These panels can also offer more features like timers and a water conservation function.
Controlling the amount of water, a volume control valve uses either a single or dual handle valve.
Single-handle Valve – Providing the easiest way to reach the preferred temperature, a single-handle valve combines hot and cold water in central control.
With a single handle, you turn it either right or left to either increase or decrease the temperature. As the handle is turned, it ensures that the water flowing through the tubes increases and pushes the temperature in the mix to either warmer or cooler.
How does a shower valve work?
At first, the shower valve will store water at a high temperature, killing most of the bacteria found in it. Then, the hot and cold water will mix to reach the set temperature so it is correct when it comes out.
Thermostatic vs Pressure Balance
Invented to control the temperature ratio, a pressure-balancing shower valve mixes cold and hot water. It contains a pressure-balancing spool that will adjust the ratio as the cold water draws to a separate fixture.
This is an efficient and cost-effective option for a shower, but keep in mind that sudden temperature fluctuations can happen using this valve, so it is not suggested for elderly individuals.
With a thermostatic shower valve, you have a mechanism that will work consistently to make adjustments in the event of a sudden water pressure change.
This allows you to have your preferred temperature consistently throughout your shower. It also gives you a great water flow rate in comparison to pressure balance valves.
A thermostatic shower valve is also a great choice if you have a modern shower panel that comes with the sprays. If you have a modern shower panel with jet sprays, then you should consider a shower valve that comes with the best flow rates.
These are more expensive than other types of valves, but they are a good way of ensuring that you get the right temperature for safety reasons.
What type of shower valve do I have?
The best way to determine what shower valve you currently have is to understand how all the different types work. Since all the valves work differently, you need to focus on how they work to figure out which of the shower valves you have.
When choosing a new shower valve, it is important to determine which will be the best thermostatic shower valve for your needs.
Remember that since it will affect the performance of your shower, a shower valve will have a huge impact on your shower experience as well as improve the quality of the plumbing system.